Code Trowel is a free programmer's text editor. Its aims to be somewhere between typical Windows editors (UltraEdit, TextPad etc) and the famous Unix editors VIM and EMACS. Its main advantages are:
- A Python scripting engine
- A fast and efficient user interface
- Understands UNIX tools (ie Makefiles, bash scripts etc) better than most Windows editors
- Easier to use, extend and configure than VIM and EMACS
- More features
Source code is not currently available. Currently only Windows is supported. Mac and Linux versions are possible but not currently scheduled.
Saturday, 03 September, 2016
Version 0.93 released.
- Added a word count feature.
- Made find-in-files quite a lot faster (typically ~30%).
- Added an interactive Python prompt. Still work-in-progress.
- Added Hostbuild syntax file.
- Edit boxes now have context menus with cut/copy/paste items.
- Edit boxes now support delete word (Ctrl+Del or Ctrl+Backspace).
- Made verilog syntax file match files ending with .sv.
- Made Tools->"Trim Trailing Space" preserve the cursor position.
- Added a "Trim Trailing Space" feature that operates as you type. Each time you type a newline, the whitespace is trimmed from the end of the line. This feature is globally enabled by default. It can be disabled either globally or per language.
- Statically linked against Python - partly because it looks tidier, partly because it saves ~100 kbytes from the size of the distribution and partly because it save ~1 mbyte from the runtime memory foot print.
- Switched to building with VS 2015. Also switched to linking statically against msvcrt. I should have done this ages ago since it means there's no danger of having to download and run the annoying mscvrt installer. The static linking makes the exe size increase, but that is compensated for by the savings from the static Python linkage mentioned above.
- Added a feature to "intelligently" create a default folder when saving a new file for the first time. The algorithm is simply to use the folder name of the previous file you viewed. Obviously that doesn't work very well if that was also a new, unsaved file, but its a simple rule and works well most of the time.
- Added a 256x256 pixel icon image. Prior to Windows Vista, only uncompressed icons were supported and I thought that the extra 260 KBytes on codetrowel.exe's size was not worth it. But now lots of people have Vista or above, so I've added a compressed icon that only weighs in at ~35 KBytes. That still seem massive to me, but I got sick of looking at the terrible scaling job Windows 10 did of the 32x32 icon that was the largest previously included.
- Bug fix: Save All never worked, at all! It does now. Doesn't overwrite externally modified files.
- Bug fix: Status bar showed incorrect selection block size for multi-line selections.
- Bug fix: Most of the Python extensions that process text (eg sort, to uppercase) didn't work with column mode selections.
- Bug fix: Copying text from a UNIX mode file to the clipboard or sending it to Python would send it with DOS line endings.
- Bug fix: Replace in current file could seg fault in rare circumstances.
- Bug fix: Find-in-files would miss about 0.1% of files (introduced in 0.92).
- Bug fix: After Open-for-edit, sometimes Ctrl+S causes a non-printable. character to be inserted into the document instead of saving the file.
- Bug fix: Typing while mouse cursor hovered over menu bar caused menus to be selected.
- Bug fix: Fixed a crash if a syntax highlighter file doesn't specify a line comment token.
- Bug fix: Stopped the Python syntax highlighter getting confused by """".
- Bug fix: Fixed a crash when selecting all docs in the doc view manager. selecting close from the context menu.
- Bug fix: Closing the last document in the DVM then shift clicking to select a group of documents caused a crash.
- Bug fix: Fixed an auto-indent bug that could happen when you pressed return at the end of a line that had a mix of tabs and spaces in the indent.
- Bug fix: Pressing backspace at line 1, column 1 was treated as if delete had been pressed.
- Bug fix: Some meta-data embedded in the executable claimed that the Trowel was called CodeTrowel_dbg.exe. This was normally invisible to the user but could show up if you explored the file associations in the Windows Registry.
Thursday, 23 May, 2013
Version 0.92 released.
- More improvements to big cursor mode - backspace, delete, tab and return mostly behave correctly now.
- Status bar now indicates if a macro is being recorded.
- Rendering of selected files in the document manager costmetically improved slightly.
- Find-in-files now shows which file is currently being searched in the find widget.
- Bug fix: Save-as used to cause sporadic crashes.
- Bug fix: Made widget persistence load/save file more robust.
- Bug fix: Ctrl+f (find) was not initialising the find dialog with the word under the cursor, if the word was at the end of a line.