Code Trowel is a free programmer's text editor. Its aims to be somewhere between typical Windows editors (UltraEdit, TextPad etc) and the the famous Unix editors VIM and EMACS. Its main advantages are:
- A Python scripting engine
- A fast and efficient user interface
- Understands UNIX tools (ie Makefiles, bash scripts etc) better than most Windows editors
- Easier to use, extend and configure than VIM and EMACS
- More features
Source code is not currently available. Currently only Windows is supported. Mac and Linux versions are possible but not currently scheduled.
Thursday, 23 May, 2013
Version 0.92 released.
- More improvements to big cursor mode - backspace, delete, tab and return mostly behave correctly now.
- Status bar now indicates if a macro is being recorded.
- Rendering of selected files in the document manager costmetically improved slightly.
- Find-in-files now shows which file is currently being searched in the find widget.
- Bug fix: Save-as used to cause sporadic crashes.
- Bug fix: Made widget persistence load/save file more robust.
- Bug fix: Ctrl+f (find) was not initialising the find dialog with the word under the cursor, if the word was at the end of a line.
Monday, 15 October, 2012
Version 0.91 released.
- Added a Go syntax file.
- Column mode cursor can now be moved beyond the end of the line with the cursor keys.
- When exiting the Trowel, before it prompts about saving an unsaved doc, the document will be made visible to make it easier for you to decide if you want to save or not.
- Cursor up, down, left, right and home now all work in big cursor mode.
- Bug fix: Double click on an edit box with no contents could crash.
- Bug fix: All files were detected as having Unix line endings. This bug was introduced in v0.89 - right where I said "Hopefully I haven't broken anything".
- Bug fix: Context menus could be drawn partly off the bottom of the window.
- Bug fix: Column mode select all now works - it used to select a zero width block.
- Bug fix: The find dialog keeps a record of the 10 most recent search strings. The list is saved when the Trowel is closed down and read back in on startup. There were two bugs that could lead to items failing to be saved properly, or worse, the file containing the saved list could become corrupted and that could lead to instability.
- Bug fix: It wasn't possible to type into the edit boxes in the settings widget.